Duduzane Zuma denies all allegations of state capture

2019-Oct-08   06:12

Duduzane Zuma denies all allegations of state capture
The son of former President, Jacob Zuma - Duduzane

- Silver Sibiya

The son of former President, Jacob Zuma - Duduzane - has told the commission of inquiry into allegations of state capture that there was no conflict of interest in awarding government contracts for the company he owns, Mabengela Investments.

Zuma told chair of the commission Deputy Chief Justice, Raymond Zondo, on Monday that his company was a start-up just like any other company and he denied that it was favored to get government contracts. This despite his father being the country's president at the time.

“I think government advertising should never be an issue. The conflict ...that because my father was the president, I think that’s an unfair point to make by [Rajesh] Sundaram or anybody else. When it comes to government ad spend, just like any other outlets out there, they are getting government support via advertising revenue," said Zuma.

He was answering questions by evidence leader Advocate Phillip Mokoena relating to earlier evidence by former television news channel ANN7 editor, Rajesh Sundaram.

The Gupta-run ANN7 was owned by Infinity Media and Zuma's company, Mabengela Investments, owned 30-percent shares in Infinity Media.

Sundaram told the commission that former president Jacob Zuma was a key player in deciding how the station should be run.

On Monday Duduzane Zuma also said he was never given an opportunity by former Public Protector, Advocate Thuli Madonsela, for his side of the story to be heard.

He said when Madonsela wanted to meet with him he was overseas and could only be available after a week and half. By the time he returned home, the Public Protector's report was completed without his input, he said. 

“Why was my version not requested? This is the first time I am being asked these questions, I was not given an opportunity by the PP. No one is concerned about me not being given a fair shot," he said.

Duduzane Zuma also denied allegations made by former Deputy Minister of Finance, Mcebisi Jonas, that he didn’t know where they were going when he got in Zuma’s car to the Gupta’s residence in Saxonwold. 

The former deputy minister testified that Duduzane Zuma drove him to a meeting at the Gupta mansion, where he was offered a R600 million bribe. This bribe was meant to ensure that he accepts the Finance Minister position and then be indebted to the Guptas. 

But Zuma told the commission that the meeting was for the two of them and businessman Fana Hlongwane and he didn’t want the meeting taking place at his residence.

“I decided to put the meeting together because there is a number of things that were being said in the background. I had raised this with Uncle Fana so by the third time, I asked him: 'Can we resolve this?' And I was left responsible for the meeting," he said.

Duduzane earned millions from doing business with the Guptas and has previously dismissed Jonas's allegations in a written affidavit to the state capture commission.

His testimony continues on Tuesday. 

Search Newsnote