Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

36 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » 2022 has been a difficult year for South Africa: Ramaphosa
News

2022 has been a difficult year for South Africa: Ramaphosa

Larson ThebeBy Larson Thebe31 December 2022No Comments7 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

President Cyril Ramaphosa said 2022 has been a difficult year for South Africans, as they had to endure socio-economic challenges and tragedies. He was delivering his New Year message to the nation on Saturday.

“2022 has been a difficult year. It is a year during which South Africans continued to endure the hardships that are given rise to by unemployment, poverty, and persistent inequality. On top of all this we have had to deal with the rising cost of living and an energy crisis,” said Ramaphosa.

He highlighted that these challenges were also exacerbated by the loss of loved ones to tragedies.

“There have been devastating tragic events that have destroyed both lives and livelihoods. These events have included floods, fatal vehicle crashes, deaths in taverns, dam wall collapses, drownings, fires in informal settlements and most recently, the terrible explosion of a fuel tanker in Boksburg in Gauteng that killed at least 34 people.

A number of young men have lost their lives during the summer initiation season, turning what was meant to be a time of joy and celebration into a time of sorrow,” added Ramaphosa.

The President also acknowledged that the Covid-19 pandemic had a devastating impact in the country’s economy and resulted in job losses. He said the pandemic is no longer determining how people live their lives and that the economy is recovering again.

“Our economy is growing again and is now larger than it was before the pandemic. Over the past year, around 1.5 million new jobs were created. The Presidential Employment Stimulus, which has provided opportunities to more than a million citizens, is growing and thriving.

We are improving the business operating environment and attracting new investment. We are undertaking reforms in the operation of our ports and railways, and in our telecommunications, water and electricity sectors. We are working hard to end the crisis of load shedding. We are increasing the amount of renewable energy on the grid,” said Ramaphosa.

The President said significant steps had been taken to fight crime and corruption in the country. He applauded several arrests and the recoup of corruption related money.

“Over the last year, there have been milestones in the fight against corruption. The State Capture Commission handed over its final report and the government has set out a plan for the implementation of its recommendations.

There have been several arrests, prosecutions and convictions for corruption and cases related to state capture. Significant amounts of stolen funds have been recovered by state owned companies like Eskom and Transnet,” stressed the President.

Despite what he described as a “stormy phase in the life of a country,” Ramaphosa urged citizens to be hopeful for the coming year. He said it is a time for fresh starts in a number of aspects that affect our lives and for making resolutions to do things better.

Author

  • Larson Thebe
    Larson Thebe

    View all posts
Awareness Featured Government Politics Top News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Larson Thebe
  • Website

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

36 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent36 minutes ago3

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.