One hundred and fifty-three Palestinian asylum seekers who arrived in South Africa on Thursday endured nearly 12 hours confined on the tarmac at O.R. Tambo International Airport before finally being granted permission to enter the country.
The group had travelled on a chartered humanitarian flight arranged through Gift of the Givers and partner organisations, following ongoing conflict and displacement in Gaza. But upon landing in Johannesburg, the Border Management Authority (BMA) refused to grant them entry, citing immigration non-compliance.
According to BMA officials, the travellers could not indicate the length of their intended stay in South Africa or provide verifiable accommodation details — two requirements for entry even under visa-exempt conditions. Authorities also raised concerns about the absence of departure stamps in their passports, which has become a recurring challenge for Palestinians leaving conflict zones.
The standoff escalated as humanitarian workers, lawyers and government officials scrambled to intervene. Gift of the Givers confirmed that the Israeli authorities had intentionally avoided stamping the travellers’ passports — a practice international organisations say is commonly used to complicate the movement of Palestinians fleeing the region.
Gift of the Givers founder Dr Imtiaz Sooliman said the organisation had made clear from the outset that it would take responsibility for housing, supporting and assisting the group once they were admitted. “We committed to providing accommodation and meeting every requirement set out by immigration. These are people who have lived through unimaginable circumstances. They need safety, not further trauma,” he said.
Following verification of these arrangements, the BMA processed the group late on Thursday night. Commissioner Dr Michael Masiapato confirmed that Palestinians are eligible for 90-day visa-exempt entry to South Africa and that the asylum seekers would be allowed in under these provisions.
By the time immigration officials completed their review, 23 of the 153 travellers had already departed for onward journeys to their final destinations, while the remaining 130 were formally admitted into the country.
Human rights organisations have welcomed the decision but expressed concern over the prolonged delay. “This ordeal shows the urgent need for a humane, streamlined process for refugees fleeing war,” one civil society representative said.
The group will now undergo further processing as asylum seekers, with humanitarian organisations providing accommodation, medical care and legal guidance in the coming days.
For now, their immediate ordeal is over — but their long road to safety and stability is only beginning.

