A peaceful demonstration led by 16-year-old activist Tshenolo Williams in Johannesburg on Friday rapidly grew into a mass protest, bringing parts of the CBD to a standstill as hundreds joined the call to end gender-based violence and femicide (GBVF).
Williams, a Grade 11 learner and founder of the NGO Justice for South Africa, initially began the protest at Gandhi Square with around a dozen supporters. Members of COSAS (Congress of South African Students) later joined after their own earlier-planned march failed to take off.
“Women and children are being raped and murdered daily. Silence is no longer an option — silence is complicity,” said Williams.
Dressed in black and carrying placards, demonstrators marched through the streets, lying down for 15 minutes at designated stops in memory of GBVF victims. As they moved, bystanders and passersby joined, transforming the youth-led protest into a city-wide movement.
Without official permission or police escorts, the protest occasionally clashed with traffic. At one point, a female motorist attempted to confront Williams and threatened the group, but members of Amapanyaza intervened.
Businesses temporarily closed as demonstrators passed, with undocumented foreign nationals seen fleeing in panic.
Williams’ father, Neo, and other adults stepped in as marshalls to maintain order as the crowd grew to several hundred people.
One woman, Precious, broke down while recounting the rape of her 7-year-old daughter at school by an employee, underscoring the urgency of the protest.
Participant-turned-supporter Lerato Mabaso said, “Every street we walked, more people joined. It’s overwhelming. Our voices can’t be ignored anymore.”
At the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court, Williams delivered a memorandum demanding:
- The establishment of specialised GBVF courts for faster prosecution
- Improved SAPS support systems for victims
- The dismissal of magistrates and prosecutors who mishandle GBVF cases
- Nationwide distribution of their demands to all courts
Williams warned that more protests would follow if urgent action is not taken. Earlier this week, President Cyril Ramaphosa declared GBVF a national disaster.
“Until our government acts, we will keep marching,” she said.

