Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

4 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Argentina joins US in rejecting G20 Leaders’ Declaration over middle east language
World

Argentina joins US in rejecting G20 Leaders’ Declaration over middle east language

newsnote correspondentBy newsnote correspondent1 week agoUpdated:1 week agoNo Comments14 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Argentine Foreign Minister Pablo Quirno addresses the G20 Leaders’ Summit in Johannesburg, where he formally announced Argentina’s objection to the draft declaration – joining the United States as the only two countries to withhold support. Source: AFP
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Argentina has formally objected to the G20 Leaders’ Declaration at the Johannesburg Summit, becoming only the second country – alongside the United States – to withhold support before the document’s final adoption on Sunday.

Speaking at the opening plenary session at the Nasrec Expo Centre on Saturday, Argentine Foreign Minister Pablo Quirno told delegates that Buenos Aires could not back the text due to unresolved differences on several geopolitical issues, particularly the conflict in the Middle East and Gaza.

“The declaration document has not achieved consensus on a few issues, including certain geopolitical matters like the conflict in the Middle East and Gaza,” Quirno said.

He referenced the UN Security Council resolution adopted on 17 November, which called for an immediate ceasefire, unrestricted humanitarian access and a comprehensive peace process, adding: “In this regard, I wish to recall the recent adoption of UN Security Council resolution… which emphasises the international community’s support for a just and lasting peace in the Middle East.”

Despite the objections, Quirno stressed that Argentina “remains fully committed to the spirit of cooperation that has defined the G20 since its inception” and welcomed the summit’s focus on African development.

The move aligns President Javier Milei’s government closely with Washington. The United States, which fully boycotted the Johannesburg gathering, had already signalled its refusal to endorse a declaration containing references to gender equality, the Sustainable Development Goals and strong climate commitments.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, chairing the summit, announced on Saturday that the Leaders’ Declaration had been adopted by “overwhelming consensus” among participating members – a departure from the G20’s traditional requirement of unanimity.

The early adoption, on the first day of the two-day summit rather than at its close, is being seen as a bid to prevent the meeting from ending with only a watered-down chair’s summary.

Argentina and the US are the only two G20 members to voice formal objections. Several other leaders, including those of China, Russia and Mexico, sent lower-level representatives but did not block the text.

The Johannesburg Summit, the first ever held on African soil, has been dominated by South Africa’s priorities of debt relief, green industrialisation and reform of the global financial architecture. The final declaration is expected to be published after the closing session on Sunday.

Author

  • newsnote correspondent

    View all posts
South Africa
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
newsnote correspondent

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

4 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent4 minutes ago2

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.