Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

8 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Batohi accuses Chauke of pressuring prosecutor to sign Cato Manor indictment ‘without seeing evidence’
News

Batohi accuses Chauke of pressuring prosecutor to sign Cato Manor indictment ‘without seeing evidence’

newsnote correspondentBy newsnote correspondent6 days agoNo Comments5 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
National Director of Public Prosecutions Shamila Batohi testifies at the Nkabinde Inquiry in Pretoria.
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

National Director of Public Prosecutions Shamila Batohi has accused suspended Johannesburg DPP Andrew Chauke of attempting to force a senior KwaZulu-Natal prosecutor to sign an indictment in the controversial Cato Manor “death squad” case without first reviewing the evidence docket.

Testifying at the Nkabinde Inquiry into Chauke’s fitness to hold office, Batohi told the panel that Chauke allegedly instructed the prosecutor to “just sign” the document, claiming the evidence had already been checked by his Johannesburg team.

The allegation formed part of Batohi’s evidence that Chauke unlawfully bypassed and undermined the authority of then acting KwaZulu-Natal DPP, Advocate Cyril Mlotshwa, when he took control of the racketeering prosecution against former provincial Hawks head Johan Booysen and members of the Cato Manor organised crime unit.

Retired Justice Bess Nkabinde, chairing the inquiry, again intervened on Monday, pressing Batohi to clearly spell out the illegality or unlawfulness of Chauke’s actions.

“It doesn’t appear that we’ve really gone to the crux of the matter – to understand the illegality or the unlawfulness of his conduct, if any,” Nkabinde said.

Batohi spent hours reading email correspondence between Chauke and Mlotshwa, highlighting what she described as repeated attempts by Chauke to sideline the KZN office and assert control over a case outside his jurisdictional area.

President Cyril Ramaphosa suspended Chauke in July 2025 after Batohi lodged a formal complaint in 2023, citing concerns that politically influenced decisions in both the Cato Manor and Richard Mdluli matters had eroded public trust in the NPA.

Batohi maintained that Chauke’s conduct went beyond legitimate prosecutorial discretion and amounted to an abuse of power.

Cross-examination of the NDPP by Chauke’s counsel, Advocate Tembeka Ngcukaitobi SC, is expected to start once Batohi completes leading her evidence-in-chief.

The inquiry continues on Tuesday.

Author

  • newsnote correspondent

    View all posts
Awareness Crime Featured Government Top News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
newsnote correspondent

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

8 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent8 minutes ago2

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.