Mpumalanga police say they still have a strong case against four suspects implicated in the high-profile Kwaggafontein extortion matter, despite the case being struck off the court roll on Monday, 18 May 2026.
The bail application of alleged taxi kingpin Joe Sibanyoni took a dramatic turn at the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court after the matter was removed from the roll when the prosecutor failed to appear in court.
Sibanyoni and his co-accused — Bafana Sindane, Mvimbi Daniel Masilela and Philemon Msiza — were arrested last week during a coordinated operation by the SAPS Mpumalanga Organised Crime Unit.
The four face charges of extortion and money laundering linked to allegations that they demanded “protection fees” from a mining businessman operating in the province.
According to police, the suspects allegedly extorted more than R2 million from the complainant between 2022 and 2025.
The matter has attracted significant public attention due to Sibanyoni’s alleged influence in the taxi industry and longstanding concerns over organised extortion networks operating in parts of Mpumalanga.
In recent years, law enforcement agencies have intensified efforts to clamp down on extortion syndicates targeting businesses, construction sites, transport operators and the mining sector across several provinces, including Mpumalanga, Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
Monday’s proceedings were marked by heightened emotions both inside and outside the courtroom as supporters of the accused gathered in large numbers.
In a statement issued after the court appearance, police confirmed that the matter was struck off the roll solely because the prosecutor failed to appear in court, and not because of weaknesses in the investigation.
“The organised crime investigation was conducted, hence all four suspects were arrested and the case was initially enrolled, then the bail application process initiated,” said Mpumalanga police spokesperson Mavela Masondo.
Masondo maintained that the evidence gathered against the suspects “remains intact”.
He also dismissed reports suggesting that SAPS investigating officers were absent from court.
“It should also be noted that reports alleging that SAPS investigating officers were not present in court are false. The investigating team arrived in court at 08:45 this morning,” he said.
Police say they will continue engaging with the National Prosecuting Authority regarding the future handling of the case.
It remains unclear when, or if, the matter will be re-enrolled.


