Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

19 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Terrorism threat alert ‘created unnecessary anxiety, panic’ – Kodwa
Africa

Terrorism threat alert ‘created unnecessary anxiety, panic’ – Kodwa

Gomolemo MothomogoloBy Gomolemo Mothomogolo3 November 2022Updated:3 November 2022No Comments30 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Zizi Kodwa at Pride in Sandton. Source: Youtube Screengrab
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By Gomolemo Mothomogolo

Deputy Minister of State Security, Zizi Kodwa says the terrorists threat notice issued by the US embassy  “created unnecessary anxiety and panic” in country. Earlier this week, the US government  issued a notice of a possible terrorists attack that it said would be unleashed at “ large gatherings” in greater Sandton area this weekend. But the US embassy couldn’t confirm nor provide information on the exact target of the alleged terrorist attack. “There is no information regarding the timing, method or target of the potential attack. The US embassy has advised staff to avoid crowds of people and other large gatherings in the Sandton area of Johannesburg during the weekend of 29-30 October 2020,” said the US embassy in a statement.

But Deputy Minister of State Security Agency, Zizi Kodwa criticised the US government on how the notice was communicated. “We continue to engage our partners in relationships to the alert. We think it has created unnecessary anxiety and panic,” said Kodwa who conducted a walkabout at the Pride march in Sandton on Saturday. The Johannesburg Pride march is one of the biggest events for the LGBTQI community as they celebrate activists and advocate for an equal society based on gender and it is a colourful parade attracting thousands of people annually. Kodwa assured South Africans that law enforcement authorities were monitoring the area.  “I think people should come to Sandton. We have seen people coming in their numbers. The law enforcement agencies take any alert very seriously. I think South Africans must remain vigilant. Obviously we are always on high alert as national security structures not only for this alert but (on) continuous basis we do what is called a threat assessment to the country, to the security of the country and to the well being of her people,” said Kodwa adding that many countries including South Africa are vulnerable to terrorism threats.

“We take every event very seriously because terrorism is a global phenomenon [and] no country is spared. So whatever threat we get and whatever threat assessment we make we take it seriously,” he added. Calling on LGBTQI to attend the event, the Johannesburg Pride said in a statement it was critical for the community to occupy “the space we intend to occupy on October 29, 2022  that  we take to the streets and we assert our visibility.  “We must establish our presence and demonstrate our strengths as a united community. Coming together as an LGBTQI community in Africa and Johannesburg,” it said in a statement. Law enforcement authorities said they are monitoring all events taking place this weekend. 

Author

  • Gomolemo Mothomogolo
    Gomolemo Mothomogolo

    View all posts
LGBTQ Politics Pride
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Gomolemo Mothomogolo
  • Website

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

19 minutes ago

Four arrested at OR Tambo for allegedly recruiting South Africans to join the Russia-Ukraine war

1 day ago

North West Ad Hoc Committee adjourns probe into Premier Mokgosi’s alleged interference in Naledi Municipality

2 days ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent19 minutes ago2

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.