Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Madlala’s sobriety on the night of Meyiwa’s murder questioned
News

Madlala’s sobriety on the night of Meyiwa’s murder questioned

Gomolemo MothomogoloBy Gomolemo Mothomogolo16 November 2022No Comments8 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya and Bongani Ntanzi. Source: Supplied
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Zandile Msholo, defence lawyer for accused number five in the murder of Senzo Meyiwa, has brought into questioned the sobriety of the Orlando Pirates goalkeeper’s close friend who was there on the night he was murdered.

Meyiwa was shot and killed at his musician girlfriend, Kelly Khumalo’s home on 26 October 2014 in what was alleged to have been a botched robbery. Five men – Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya (accused No 1), Bongani Sandiso Ntanzi (No 2), Mthobisi Prince Mncube (No 3), Mthokoziseni Maphisa (No 4) and who is accused No 5. Sifisokuhle Nkani Ntuli.

They have been pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, attempted murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, possession of firearms without a licence and possession of ammunition. This week, Mshololo was questioning  Madlala’s sobriety when he identified accused number two, Bongani Ntanzi as one of the intruders on the night that Meyiwa was killed.

“At the time when the incident took place, when you identified the intruder you were all drunk inside the house,” Mshololo argued. Madlala however denied that he was drunk saying “we were drinking but we were not drunk”. Mshololo insisted that Madlala was drunk and not in his “sound and sober senses” on the night in question.

“Do you agree with me that at the time when the alleged intruder came into the house. You were not sober. You were not in your sound and sober senses since you had consumed this liquor,” asked Mshololo. But Madlala remained steadfast that he wasn’t drunk. “I want to reiterate that even though I consumed alcohol. I wasn’t  that drunk in such a way that I could see anything that was happening”.

Mshololo also questioned Madlala on the two cans found on the crime scene saying more alcohol than depicted on the pictures had been consumed. She also suggested that police had moved other cans from the crime scene. Madlala said he can’t deny the claims about the cans because he wasn’t there as he had taken Senzo to hospital. “I can’t refute that because we took Senzo to hospital and that didn’t happen in front of me,” said Madlala.

On Thursday, the defence lawyer for accused one to four – Sibiya, Ntanzi, Mncube and Maphisa, Tshepo Thobane concluded the cross-examination of Madlala on Tuesday. Under cross examination, Thobane told Madlala Ntanzi had an alibi and was in Kwa-Zulu Natal the day Meyiwa was shot and killed after Madlala identified Ntanzi as one of the intruders who were in the house on that fateful night.

Thobane told the court Ntanzi was promised money to implicate his co accused in the murder case but his client refused to take the money.

“I put it to you that as per my instructions despite accused number two[Bongani Ntanzi] being promised money he couldn’t take the fall as he was told to say other accused were the ones who committed the offence but he refused. He refused to concede to that, he refused to make a confession and he refused the money as per my instructions.

“My instructions are that the accused knocked off on the morning of Saturday 25 October 2014 and he left for [Kwa-Zulu Natal] KZN to pay lobola for his wife. On the day of the alleged incident Senzo Meyiwa was fatally wounded. Accused number two as per my instructions was in his hometown in KZN.”

However, Madlala was adamant that Ntanzi was one of the intruders in the house and challenged Thobane to bring evidence in court suggesting anything contrary.

Author

  • Gomolemo Mothomogolo
    Gomolemo Mothomogolo

    View all posts
Crime Featured Senzo
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Gomolemo Mothomogolo
  • Website

Related Posts

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago

Comments are closed.

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

By Tshegofatso Letsie1 hour ago3

As the country marks World Aids Day on 1 December, the North West provincial government…

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago

South Africa crush Wales 73-0 in Cardiff bloodbath

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.