Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

35 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Minister Lamola will respond to the Apex Court decision to parole Hani’s killer, Janusz Walus
News

Minister Lamola will respond to the Apex Court decision to parole Hani’s killer, Janusz Walus

Gomolemo MothomogoloBy Gomolemo Mothomogolo1 December 2022No Comments4 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Chris Hani, General-Secretary of the South African Communist Party (SACP), was assassinated by right-wing extremist Janusz Waluś on 10 April 1993.
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, Ronald Lamola will make an announcement at the “right time” on paper whether to stay the Apex Court decision to release Chris Hani’s killer on parole or not. 

The response from the Correctional Services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo comes after the SACP served Lamola with court papers challenging the decision to release the Polish assassin Walus on parole. 

Last week, the Constitutional Court ruled that a decision by the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services taken in March 2020 rejecting Janusz Walus’ application for parole be reviewed and set aside.

The court also ordered Lamola to place Walus on parole on such terms and conditions as he may deem appropriate and to take all such steps as may need to be taken to ensure that he is released on parole within ten calendar days from the date of the order. 

But the SACP secretary general Solly Mapaila said the party has filed a recession application and served the Minister with the papers and also gave Walus’ legal representatives copies of the application both physically and electronically.

“So we then decided that we are making a recession application to ask them to reverse this decision. Secondly, we have sent papers yesterday (Tuesday) to the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services comrade Lamola to say to him he must stay the execution of this order pending the outcome of the recession application,” Mapaila.

According to Nxumalo the decision on whether to stay the execution of the order rests with Minister Lamola.

“That decision will be made by the correct authority being the Minister. I do believe and I know for fact that he will make his intentions known publicly and at the right time he will do so,” said Nxumalo. 

Walus’ condition is said to be stable after he was stabbed in prison on Tuesday and the Correctional Services  Department has launched an investigation into the incident. 

Author

  • Gomolemo Mothomogolo
    Gomolemo Mothomogolo

    View all posts
Awareness Crime Featured Top News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Gomolemo Mothomogolo
  • Website

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

35 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago

Comments are closed.

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent35 minutes ago3

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.