Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

32 minutes ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

2 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

22 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Palestinian asylum seekers finally allowed to enter South Africa after 12-hour airport ordeal
World

Palestinian asylum seekers finally allowed to enter South Africa after 12-hour airport ordeal

newsnote correspondentBy newsnote correspondent2 weeks agoUpdated:2 weeks agoNo Comments12 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

One hundred and fifty-three Palestinian asylum seekers who arrived in South Africa on Thursday endured nearly 12 hours confined on the tarmac at O.R. Tambo International Airport before finally being granted permission to enter the country.

The group had travelled on a chartered humanitarian flight arranged through Gift of the Givers and partner organisations, following ongoing conflict and displacement in Gaza. But upon landing in Johannesburg, the Border Management Authority (BMA) refused to grant them entry, citing immigration non-compliance.

According to BMA officials, the travellers could not indicate the length of their intended stay in South Africa or provide verifiable accommodation details — two requirements for entry even under visa-exempt conditions. Authorities also raised concerns about the absence of departure stamps in their passports, which has become a recurring challenge for Palestinians leaving conflict zones.

The standoff escalated as humanitarian workers, lawyers and government officials scrambled to intervene. Gift of the Givers confirmed that the Israeli authorities had intentionally avoided stamping the travellers’ passports — a practice international organisations say is commonly used to complicate the movement of Palestinians fleeing the region.

Gift of the Givers founder Dr Imtiaz Sooliman said the organisation had made clear from the outset that it would take responsibility for housing, supporting and assisting the group once they were admitted. “We committed to providing accommodation and meeting every requirement set out by immigration. These are people who have lived through unimaginable circumstances. They need safety, not further trauma,” he said.

Following verification of these arrangements, the BMA processed the group late on Thursday night. Commissioner Dr Michael Masiapato confirmed that Palestinians are eligible for 90-day visa-exempt entry to South Africa and that the asylum seekers would be allowed in under these provisions.

By the time immigration officials completed their review, 23 of the 153 travellers had already departed for onward journeys to their final destinations, while the remaining 130 were formally admitted into the country.

Human rights organisations have welcomed the decision but expressed concern over the prolonged delay. “This ordeal shows the urgent need for a humane, streamlined process for refugees fleeing war,” one civil society representative said.

The group will now undergo further processing as asylum seekers, with humanitarian organisations providing accommodation, medical care and legal guidance in the coming days.

For now, their immediate ordeal is over — but their long road to safety and stability is only beginning.

Author

  • newsnote correspondent

    View all posts
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
newsnote correspondent

Related Posts

Devastating floods grip Southeast Asia

3 days ago

Military seizes control in Guinea-Bissau, President arrested after election

4 days ago

EU-Africa Summit 2025: Leaders pledge stronger trade, critical minerals access and joint fight against irregular migration

5 days ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

By Tshegofatso Letsie32 minutes ago3

As the country marks World Aids Day on 1 December, the North West provincial government…

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

2 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

22 hours ago

South Africa crush Wales 73-0 in Cardiff bloodbath

22 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.