Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

11 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Pulamadibogo Primary School parents are up in arms over street vendors after 90 pupils were hospitalised allegedly for consuming muffins laced with dagga
News

Pulamadibogo Primary School parents are up in arms over street vendors after 90 pupils were hospitalised allegedly for consuming muffins laced with dagga

Gomolemo MothomogoloBy Gomolemo Mothomogolo21 September 2023No Comments26 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The parents  at Pulamadibogo Primary School are up in arms and are demanding the banning of street vendors following an incident on Wednesday where 90 learners were rushed to hospital after they allegedly consumed muffins laced with weed bought from a street vendor. 

On Wednesday, the Gauteng Department of Education confirmed that about 90 learners were rushed to nearby health facilities after they had allegedly consumed muffins laced with weed. 

The parents said most of the pupils were discharged while four were still receiving treatment.

However, on Thursday teaching  and learning continued while parents monitored the school to ensure their children’s safety. 

A parent who opted to remain anonymous said she arrived at about 6:00 in the morning to monitor activities outside the schools. 

“So as a parent this has affected me too much that is why I am here. I don’t work here at Pulamadibogo Primary School. I am a patroller around Soshanguve but this has scared me so I decided to come to patrol the school. I want to check what happens and also check hawkers but so far there were no hawkers that came. I got here at 6:00,” said the concerned mother. 

“We are calling on the government to assist with more patrollers because in schools they only place one patroller per day. So we are asking for at least four patrollers with two stationed outside while two are stationed inside,” she added. 

The mother of a 10-year-old pupil said her child was back at school after she was taken to a nearby clinic after she consumed space cookies.

“Yesterday they called me when I was at home and told me that my child had fallen ill. When I arrived at the school my child was complaining about stomach cramps and a headache. So we found that there were ambulances on the school premises so  we took them to a clinic at block JJ. So far she is okay. The problem is that she complained about a headache but she is at school,” said the mother

Another parent, Thandi Nkosi said street vendors were posing a risk to learners and wanted them to halt operations at the school. 

“As parents we have decided that we don’t want street vendors because we don’t know who has good and who has bad intentions. We are not fighting with parents who are trying to put food on the table for the children but the safety of our children is a priority to us parents. 

“So the solution is that street vendors are no longer allowed. They will try to hustle in another way because we will lose a child next time” said Nkosi. 

A community policing forum chairperson in the area, Maria Ralele described the incident as an attack on learners with a “clear intention of destroying the children’s future”. 

“The issue here is that children were told to buy one and another one for free. This was a problem because they were forced to buy these space cookies. We think there is a clear intention to destroy the children’s future. 

“If this thing was laced with weed and other drugs, we don’t know the extent of its impact on these children’s health . It may have  other negative impacts on children. This is the fear we have as parents. We don’t know the long term effects of this incident. We are asking for assistance,” said Ralele. 

Ralele called on government and law enforcement authorities to intensify efforts to ensure learners safety in all schools in Soshanguve. 

The Gauteng Education department said a street vendor implicated in the incident has been identified and police are investigating the incident. 

Author

  • Gomolemo Mothomogolo
    Gomolemo Mothomogolo

    View all posts
Awareness Crime Featured South Africa Top News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Gomolemo Mothomogolo
  • Website

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

11 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent11 minutes ago2

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.