Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

35 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Rassie Erasmus reshuffles his squad for second Italy Test
Sport

Rassie Erasmus reshuffles his squad for second Italy Test

Larson ThebeBy Larson Thebe5 months agoNo Comments7 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus. Source: AFP
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus has made 11 changes to the squad that will face Italy in the second Castle Lager Incoming Series Test at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Gqeberha on Saturday afternoon. 

The team will be captained by Salmaan Moerat in the absence of Siya Kolisi and includes three uncapped players on the bench, and will feature only seven players from the side that defeated Italy 42-24 at the Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria last week

Notable inclusion Willie le Roux, who will become the eight Springbok centurion, and the return of local favourite, Makazole Mapimpi, from a long-injury layoff. 

The players in Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus’ team in line to make their Test debuts are  Asenathi Ntlabakanye, Cobus Wiese, and Ethan Hooker, will make their Test debuts.

“We said from the outset that we would rotate the team as we have a large and very talented squad, and all but three of the players have played Test rugby before.

“Adding to that, 13 players in this squad have won a World Cup before, 11 of whom are in the starting lineup and two on the bench, and that shows the depth we have as we continue to build our squad for the next few seasons and ultimately the 2027 Rugby World Cup,” said Erasmus.

Erasmus said he’s elated to see Le Roux earn his 100th Test cap.

“Willie has been a stalwart for us in the last few years after making his debut against Italy in Durban in 2013. He’s a fantastic playmaker, so we are thrilled to see him achieve this incredible feat,” remarked the coach. 

Erasmus said they’ll not underestimate the Azzurri, who frustrated the Boks on Saturday, as they scored three second half tries.

“We said from the get-go that they are a tough team and that they will test us, and we know that their performance last week will psyche them up going into this match. They will come hard at us and deliver another passionate performance, but we also have high standards as a team, and we know that we need to shift into a different gear this weekend to produce a performance we can be proud of,” warned Erasmus. 

Author

  • Larson Thebe
    Larson Thebe

    View all posts
Rugby South Africa
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Larson Thebe
  • Website

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

35 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent35 minutes ago3

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.