Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

11 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » The ‘exploited’ Africa is worthy of more World Cup berths, Ghana’s coach says
Africa

The ‘exploited’ Africa is worthy of more World Cup berths, Ghana’s coach says

newsnote correspondentBy newsnote correspondent1 December 2022No Comments3 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Otto Addo is on World Cup mission with Ghana's Black Stars. Source: GFA communications
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

AL RAYYAN, Qatar: Ghana’s coach said Thursday that the continent needs more places in the World Cup given the strength of African teams so far. Senegal and Morocco are the only African qualifiers to reach the last 16 of the 2022 tournament. With a win against Uruguay in their final group match, Ghana can advance, while Cameroon can still advance if they beat already qualified Brazil, which is expected to rest its top players.

The only team so far to be eliminated is Tunisia, who won 1-0 against France on Wednesday. Ghana’s Otto Addo praised Senegal on Thursday, speaking before Morocco beat Canada 2-1 to finish top of Group F.

During a news conference, Addo expressed his happiness over the qualification of our African brothers.

Senegal is certainly an inspiration. I’m happy for them. Africa has been exploited a lot throughout history. Many things have gone wrong for us.”

“This is what we try to do for people, we do for Ghana, we do for Africa. And I hope that everybody understands that we have to give more than we have and everything we have, because sometimes for people at home it’s their last hope,” Addo said.

Nigeria and Algeria made it to the last 16 at the 2014 World Cup, Africa’s best showing in the previous five World Cups.

There was only one African team that advanced to the knockout round of the 2002, 2006, and 2010 tournaments, but all five African qualifiers from 2018 did not advance past the group stage.

Three of Ghana’s last five World Cups have reached the knockout rounds, making them one of only three African nations to reach the quarterfinals.

In comparison to Europe, where the same number of countries compete for 13 World Cup spots, Africa’s five World Cup spots are lopsided.

“It’s very difficult for us, the probability for us to proceed is lower than then other nations like in Europe, they have 13 spots. And so the probability is much, much higher.”

As a result of the limited number of places, Ghana’s Thomas Partey, who plays for Arsenal in England, said the World Cup was missing good African players.

“I’m not surprised,” he said of the African teams’ performance. We know most of the African countries are working harder. We have a lot of quality players … all those don’t qualify.”

Author

  • newsnote correspondent

    View all posts
Algeria Cameroon Fifa World Cup Ghana Nigeria Otto Addo Qatar World Cup Senegal Soccer Top News Tunisia Uruguay
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
newsnote correspondent

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

11 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Comments are closed.

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent11 minutes ago2

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.