Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

22 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » The Matric Class of 2022 attained the highest number of Bachelor passes in the entire history of the NSC examinations – Minister Motshekga
News

The Matric Class of 2022 attained the highest number of Bachelor passes in the entire history of the NSC examinations – Minister Motshekga

Silver SibiyaBy Silver Sibiya20 January 2023No Comments7 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The pass rate for the 2022 matric exams went up by 3.7% to 80.1% compared to the 76.4% achieved by the class of 2021. Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal made history by producing the most Bachelor passes compared to the other provinces.

The statistics came out last night when Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga announced the matric results in Joburg. She said the number of candidates qualifying for university entry is 278 814 and an improvement of 8.9% from last year.

“This represents 38.4% of the total number of candidates who wrote the 2022 National Senior Certificate (NSC) examinations. By the way, the number of 2022 Bachelor passes, are the highest attained in the entire history of the NSC examinations; but the second highest to that attained in 2021, when expressed as a percentage,” she said.

“We must state that KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng contributed the most Bachelor passes, with 69 849 an increase of 12.9% from 2021 and 58 119 an increase of 4.1% from 2021, respectively. 

“When combined, KZN and Gauteng contributed 127 968 Bachelor passes, an improvement of 8.7% from 2021, and 45.9% of the overall Bachelor passes nationally.

“The 2022 NSC overall pass rate has reached 80.1%, an improvement of 3.7% from the pass rate achieved by the Class of 2021. This represents a record of 580 555 candidates, who passed the 2022 NSC examinations,” she said.

The minister said the Free State is the top performing province again and obtained a pass rate of 85.5%,” to loud cheers in the hall. In 2022, a total of 218 730 distinctions were achieved, an increase of 3.3%.

“The main contributors towards passes with distinctions, were six provinces KwaZulu-Natal, Gauteng, Western Cape, Eastern Cape, Limpopo and Mpumalanga. Combined, the contribution of the 6 provinces towards passes with distinction.”

According to Motshekga, 922,034 pupils sat down for the NSC exams, an increase of 2,600 from last year. 

Candidates who wrote the NSC exams will receive their matric results on Friday.  They may fetch their statements from the school or exam centre where they wrote. Here are the numbers as matric pass percentage rate per province:

  • Free State 85.5%
  • Gauteng (84.4%)
  • KwaZulu-Natal (83%)
  • Western Cape (81.4%)
  • North West (79.8%)
  • Eastern Cape (77.3%)
  • Mpumalanga (76.8%)
  • Northern Cape (74.2%)
  • Limpopo (72.1%) 

Author

  • Silver Sibiya
    Silver Sibiya

    View all posts
Academics Awareness Education Featured Matric Results Top News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Silver Sibiya
  • Website

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

22 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent22 minutes ago2

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.