Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

10 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Two men arrested for running an illegal initiation school out on a R1 500 bail each
News

Two men arrested for running an illegal initiation school out on a R1 500 bail each

Thabang MorutloaBy Thabang Morutloa12 July 2023No Comments46 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The two men facing charges of running an illegal initiation school in Mahikeng have been granted bail of R1 500 each by the Mmabatho Magistrate Court in the North West.

Piet Tlotleng and Keotshepile Nkate face charges of contravening the Custom Initiation Act after they allegedly mobilised young men to their illegal initiation and school and later demanded money from their parents.

Last week 40 initiates were rescued from the school which operates near Ramatlabama and Tsetse villages, and taken for medical attention at the Mahikeng Provincial Hospital after their parents reported them missing.

On Tuesday the Magistrate Duane Spandiel granted the 25-year-old Tlotleng and his 22-year-old co-accused Nkate bail with conditions.

“Both of you are facing one offence of contravening Section 26 in terms of the Operating Illegal Initiation Schools Act. The Act that is contravened is actually the Customary Initiation Act 2 of 2021. 

“The charge is of operating an illegal initiation school under this Act. Both of the accused are legally represented by Ms Modise from Legal Aid South Africa who addressed this court and placed the personal circumstances of both of the accused on record.

“The state proceeded by handing an affidavit of the investigating officer marked exhibit A. The state is not opposed to the accused as their fixed addresses have been confirmed and they both stand before this court as first offenders, with no previous convictions, no pending matters and no outstanding warrants against their names. 

“Taking into consideration the circumstances of both accused in this matter as well as the seriousness of this alleged offence and the interest of the community, I am satisfied that bail should be fixed in the amount of R1500.  

“The following conditions are attached to the bail. Both of you must stay away from the complainants as well as any of the state witnesses that the state might indicate. Furthermore, both of you are placed under house arrest. 

“You can only come to court and then go to work, furthermore no other movements within the Mahikeng area. You also need to refrain from getting involved in any activities concerning any initiation school operations,” Spandiel said.

The victim’s parents who requested to be anonymous said they were disappointed by the magistrate’s ruling.

“I’m just concerned about the safety of our children because these people operate with others while they are arrested. Now how are our kids going to walk freely on the streets when they are also roaming the streets? These people can still get to them, their safety is not guaranteed,” she said.

“Our children are still in the hospital but the magistrate saw fit to release these young men on bail. It’s really unfair that they will be walking freely on the streets while our kids are still at the hospital in severe pain,” another parent said.

North West Health spokesperson, Tebogo Lekgethwane, said some of the initiates between the ages of 15 and 20 were still in hospital.

“The four initiates out of the eight initiates that were remaining at the Mahikeng Provincial were released. While four are still in the hospital. Out of the four that are still admitted, one has been moved to another ward for further management. 

“The other three had septic wounds because their operations were taking longer to heal. They are currently managed in their wards and the message from the hospital is that they are stable and will recover soon,” said Lekgethwane.

The case was postponed to 12 September 2023 to allow further investigations by the police.

Author

  • Thabang Morutloa
    Thabang Morutloa

    View all posts
Awareness Featured Top News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Thabang Morutloa
  • Website

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

10 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent10 minutes ago2

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.