Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

32 minutes ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

2 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

22 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Zuma sisters in explosive court clash over ‘Russian mercenary scam’ that stranded South Africans in war zone
News

Zuma sisters in explosive court clash over ‘Russian mercenary scam’ that stranded South Africans in war zone

newsnote correspondentBy newsnote correspondent5 days agoUpdated:5 days agoNo Comments13 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A bitter family feud in the Zuma household exploded into the public domain on Monday when Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla, a sitting MP for the uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party, filed a sworn affidavit denying she masterminded the recruitment of more than a dozen South African men to fight as mercenaries in Russia.

In a dramatic reversal, Zuma-Sambudla told police she was the first victim of an elaborate WhatsApp scam and had unwittingly passed on fraudulent information to relatives and party contacts.

The affidavit, submitted at Sandton Police Station on 24 November 2025, directly contradicts claims made 24 hours earlier by her half-sister, Nkosazana Zuma-Mncube, who accused Zuma-Sambudla of “tricking 17 men into fighting for Russian mercenaries”.

Zuma-Mncube, the eldest daughter of former president Jacob Zuma and Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, laid criminal charges on Saturday, alleging the men – including eight family members – were lured with promises of lucrative bodyguard training for the MK Party. Instead, they were flown to Russia, forced to sign contracts written in Russian, and deployed to the front lines in Ukraine.

In her counter-affidavit, Zuma-Sambudla insists she was approached in early 2025 by a man calling himself Blessing Rhulani Khoza, who claimed to be a South African living in Russia. Khoza allegedly offered “safe, legal civilian paramilitary training” and high-paying security jobs. Believing the opportunity was legitimate and could benefit MK Party structures, Zuma-Sambudla says she shared Khoza’s details with trusted contacts. She claims she only discovered the deception when distraught recruits began sending desperate voice notes from the conflict zone.

“I immediately distanced myself and opened a case of fraud against Mr Khoza,” Zuma-Sambudla stated in the affidavit.

The Hawks’ Crimes Against the State unit has taken over the investigation. Possible charges range from human trafficking and contravention of the Regulation of Foreign Military Assistance Act to fraud and defeating the ends of justice. Police spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe confirmed both affidavits had been received and that statements were being taken from the affected families in KwaZulu-Natal.

The Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) said it was aware of South Africans “stranded in Russia under false pretences” but could not comment on specific cases while investigations were ongoing.

The scandal is the latest embarrassment for the MK Party, already reeling from internal factionalism and financial scrutiny since its surprise third-place finish in the 2024 elections.

Neither the MK Party nor Jacob Zuma’s office has responded to requests for comment.

Author

  • newsnote correspondent

    View all posts
Awareness Crime Featured Government Politics South Africa Top News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
newsnote correspondent

Related Posts

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

32 minutes ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

2 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

22 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

By Tshegofatso Letsie32 minutes ago3

As the country marks World Aids Day on 1 December, the North West provincial government…

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

2 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

22 hours ago

South Africa crush Wales 73-0 in Cardiff bloodbath

22 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.