Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

2 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

21 hours ago

South Africa crush Wales 73-0 in Cardiff bloodbath

21 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify
News

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

newsnote correspondentBy newsnote correspondent2 weeks agoNo Comments1,209 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Cedric Nkabinde, chief of staff to suspended Police Minister Senzo Mchunu, will appear before Parliament’s ad hoc committee investigating allegations of corruption and political interference in the South African Police Service (SAPS) on Thursday morning.

The hearing follows weeks of high-profile testimony, including from Mchunu himself, who denied any wrongdoing or interference in police operations during his appearance last month. Nkabinde is expected to face intense scrutiny over his rapid rise within the ministry, his role in the controversial disbandment of the Political Killings Task Team (PKTT) in December 2024, and his close relationship with Mchunu.

KwaZulu-Natal Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi previously told the committee that he was introduced to Mchunu through Nkabinde prior to the minister’s appointment in 2024. Mkhwanazi also alleged that Nkabinde informed him of Mchunu’s ties to controversial businessman Brown Mogotsi.

The PKTT’s dissolution, ordered by Mchunu, has been a central point of contention. Mchunu maintained the decision was part of a restructuring process and followed consultations with President Cyril Ramaphosa. Critics, including Mkhwanazi, claim it was intended to protect criminal networks.During his testimony, Mchunu submitted audio recordings of conversations between Nkabinde and Mkhwanazi, alleging threats were made against him. The committee, however, declined to accept the recordings as evidence due to incomplete context.

Questions are also likely to focus on whether Nkabinde holds appropriate security clearance to access sensitive police intelligence—a point raised during Mchunu’s session, where the minister admitted he was unsure of his aide’s status. Speaking at a press conference in October, Nkabinde described a police raid on his home as an act of “harassment and intimidation,” particularly given his upcoming parliamentary appearance.

He said his legal team had formally reported the incident to the ad hoc committee. Thursday’s session follows testimony from National Director of Public Prosecutions Shamila Batohi, who warned of organised crime syndicates infiltrating key institutions, including the SAPS and the broader criminal justice system.

The committee, racing against a late-November deadline and with Mchunu currently on special leave and under investigation, Nkabinde’s evidence could prove pivotal in determining the extent of political influence within the police service.

Author

  • newsnote correspondent

    View all posts
Awareness Crime Featured Government Politics South Africa Top News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
newsnote correspondent

Related Posts

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

2 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

21 hours ago

South Africa crush Wales 73-0 in Cardiff bloodbath

21 hours ago
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

By Silver Sibiya2 hours ago2

Survivors of the deadly Usindiso Building fire are taking the City of Johannesburg to court,…

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

21 hours ago

South Africa crush Wales 73-0 in Cardiff bloodbath

21 hours ago

Four arrested at OR Tambo for allegedly recruiting South Africans to join the Russia-Ukraine war

1 day ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.