Johannesburg Mayor Dada Morero says investigators are probing allegations of corruption involving City employees and business owners following a high-impact operation in the Johannesburg inner city.
The raid forms part of the City’s ongoing campaign to reclaim public spaces, enforce municipal by-laws and address issues linked to illegal trading, unsafe buildings and non-payment of municipal services in the CBD.
The operation follows last week’s demolitions of illegal structures erected along Small Street, where authorities said sidewalks and public areas had been occupied unlawfully for years. The City has intensified its inner-city crackdown in recent months amid growing concerns over crime, hijacked buildings, infrastructure decay and revenue losses.
Speaking during Tuesday’s operation, Morero said several businesses targeted during the raid owed the municipality millions of rand in unpaid service bills.
He revealed that three buildings collectively owe the City around R30 million, while Marvel Towers alone allegedly owes about R40 million.
Morero said preliminary investigations also point to possible collusion between municipal employees and some businesses.
“We are also picking up issues of corruption between our employees and these businesses and we are going to be following up on further investigations on the side of the department to confirm who are involved,” said Morero.
Meanwhile, Xolani Fihla confirmed that 13 people were arrested during the operation, including a butchery manager accused of contravening the Immigration Act.
The City has maintained that the enforcement campaign is aimed at restoring law and order in the inner city, despite resistance from some traders and property owners.
Court proceedings involving business owners at Marble Tower attempting to halt the operation are expected to continue on Wednesday at Johannesburg High Court.


