Author: Silver Sibiya

South Africa’s global pop sensation Tyla has once again captured the world’s attention following the announcement of the 2026 Grammy Awards nominations. The 23-year-old superstar earned a nod for her hit single “Push 2 Start” in the prestigious Best African Music Performance category proving that her global dominance is no passing trend. This comes just a year after she made history by winning her first Grammy for “Water” in the same category, becoming the first South African woman to do so. That breakthrough moment solidified her as one of Africa’s brightest exports and a trailblazer in global pop culture. Tyla’s…

Read More

Justice and Constitutional Development Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi says upgrading and revitalising courts across the country is vital to ensuring that all South Africans have easy access to justice. Kubayi was speaking during the signing of a historic tripartite memorandum of understanding (MoU) at Johannesburg High Court on Friday. The collaboration includes, government, private sector and academia through Jozi My Jozi initiative. She said justice can only be served effectively when courts function properly and remain accessible to the public. “This gives hope to the most vulnerable people who are looking for justice,” she said. “Who are saying ‘we have been…

Read More

Anti-migrant group, Operation Dudula has vowed to appeal the recent Johannesburg High Court ruling that ordered the group to stop harassing foreign nationals saying the judgment “sets a dangerous precedent” and undermines South Africa’s ability to enforce immigration laws.Speaking at media briefing on Thursday in Johannesburg, Operation Dudula president Zandile Dabula said while the movement respects the judiciary, it is deeply concerned about the wider impact of the court’s decision on law enforcement and national security.“The judgement encourages anarchy and chaos, putting South Africa’s stability at risk,” she said.The controversial civic group, known for its anti-illegal immigration campaigns, accused the…

Read More

The City of Johannesburg has expressed alarm over the reluctance of informal traders to verify their trading permits, as part of an ongoing drive triggered by a recent court ruling on illegal trading in the inner city. Acting Mayor Eunice Mgcina addressed journalists on Thursday, revealing that despite repeated calls for traders to come forward with their documents, participation has fallen far short of expectations. “Several traders listed by the court for verification have not yet presented themselves to city officials,” Mgcina stated. “We are worried about the turnout; they are not coming as we expected.” According to the court’s…

Read More

The South African Police Service (SAPS) has confirmed the successful execution of a search and seizure warrant linked to North West businessman Brown Mogotsi. The warrant, issued on 16 October 2025, is part of a broader investigation into fraud, corruption, and defeating the ends of justice. Investigators seized several electronic devices during the operation, which took place at the offices of Mogotsi’s legal representatives in Johannesburg. According to SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe, the police team also met with Mogotsi in connection with a separate attempted murder case. “The SAPS has successfully executed the search and seizure warrant issued for…

Read More

South Africa’s new car market continued to grow strongly in October, reaching its highest monthly sales in more than a decade. According to naamsa, the Automotive Business Council, 55,956 new vehicles were sold in October, up 16% from the same month last year when 48,222 vehicles were sold. This is the best performance since March 2015, showing that the car market is finishing the year on a strong note.Most of the vehicles, 79%, were sold by dealers. The rest went to rental companies (16.6%), government (2.2%) and corporate fleets (2.1%). “These figures are even better than we anticipated,” said Brandon…

Read More

Gauteng police have arrested a 23-year-old man believed to be involved in a drive-by mass shooting that took place in Reiger Park on Saturday. Six people were shot, and three others injured in a shooting on Saturday night in Boksburg. The incident occurred on Williams Road in Reiger Park. According to police, the suspect was taken into custody on the night on Monday following an investigation by the Anti-Gang Unit. He is expected to appear in the Boksburg Magistrates’ Court on on Wednesday. In a separate incident, another team from the Anti-Gang Unit arrested a 62-year-old man in Reiger Park…

Read More

Controversial North West businessman Brown Mogotsi has yet to show up at the Vosloorus Police Station to open a case following what he claimed was an attempted shooting last night prompting suspicion that the incident may have been staged. Residents of Vosloorus Extension 25 near the N3 reported hearing gunshots around 10 p.m. on Monday. When they arrived at the scene, they found a Chevrolet with broken windows and open doors but no blood, no injuries, and no sign of a struggle. “There is no one hurt or any blood stains in the car,” said one witness. “Even the man…

Read More

The 54-year-old man, believed to be the brother of the main accused, former police sergeant Rachel Kutumela, was apprehended on Tuesday morning around 11 a.m. in Molejie outside Seshego, police confirmed. According to the South African Police Service (SAPS), the suspect faces charges of murder, fraud, and money laundering. He is expected to appear in the Polokwane Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday. Kutumela, together with her sister, Anna Shokane (47), and daughter, Florah Shokane (23), was previously arrested and charged with orchestrating the murder to cash in on a R10 million life insurance policy. The three women remain in custody after…

Read More

Tired, elderly, and frustrated — dozens of senior citizens from different townships in Ekurhuleni gathered outside the ANC’s Luthuli House in Johannesburg, demanding the government fulfill its promise of RDP houses made nearly three decades ago. They say they have been waiting since 1996, yet their names remain on the housing waiting list while others — allegedly with money or connections — have benefited. “Many of them died without getting their RDP houses,” said Nomalizo Khumalo from Katlehong. “These houses are being sold to people who can afford them, while we, the poor, are left with nothing.” Khumalo, like many…

Read More