Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

36 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Killer uncle denied bail
News

Killer uncle denied bail

Dimakatso GenkoeBy Dimakatso Genkoe23 November 2022No Comments17 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Former Mkhondo Municipality Mayor arrested and will spend a second night in custody.
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A man arrested for allegedly killing his five month-old nephew with a spade in Kgakala Township in the North West was denied bail by the Leeudoringstad Magistrates Court on Tuesday. The state successfully opposed Lazarus Hambone’s bail application and the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) said in a statement that among other factors, Hambone is a parolee on a murder charge that he committed in 2011. 

The 38-year old Hambone was released on parole in May last year. According to police reports, a 16-year-old mother was carrying the baby on her back when Hambone attacked her with a spade after an argument at their home. 

The baby was rushed to Tshepong hospital where he allegedly died due to his head injuries. NPA provincial spokesperson Henry Mamothame says the accused will remain in custody until the matter is concluded and he is expected to appear before court again on 17 January 2023.

According to the latest crime statistics released by Police Minister Bheki Cele on Wednesday, 28 children were killed between July and September this year bringing the total number to 315 , which is a 9.8% increase compared to 287 in the same period last financial year.

North West alone reported a 6.5% increase in murder cases.  Cele said the recent crime figures showed that aggression and violence were at worrying levels in South Africa.

The DA leader John Steenhuisen has called on Cele to vacate his office because the high crime stats are a confirmation that he is failing the country. He says under Cele the crime is out of control with millions of people living in fear.

“Since President Cyril Ramaphosa and Cele took office in 2018 murder has increased in Quarter 2 by 26% from 5554 in Q2 2018/19 to 7004 in Q2 2022/23.  The crime stats reveal that every day between July and September 2022: 76 people were murdered: 115 people were raped: 448 people were assaulted with grievous bodily harm and 383 serious robberies occurred,” reads the DA statement.

Author

  • Dimakatso Genkoe

    View all posts
Awareness Crime Featured
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Dimakatso Genkoe

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

36 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago

Comments are closed.

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent36 minutes ago3

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

2 hours ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

4 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.