Close Menu
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Subscribe For All The Latest Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote about Politics ,Sports and business.

Recent Stories

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

8 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Steam
newsnotenewsnote
☎ 080 000 1188 (Toll Free)  
Subscribe
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
newsnotenewsnote
Home » Suspected illegal miner denies his presence at the mineshaft
News

Suspected illegal miner denies his presence at the mineshaft

Boitumelo TshehleBy Boitumelo Tshehle10 November 2022Updated:10 November 2022No Comments13 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
21 suspected illegal miners arrested in Stilfontein. Source: Supplied
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

One of the 21 alleged illegal miners seeking bail told the Stilfontein Magistrates court in the North West on Wednesday that he had never visited the mine shaft where twenty of his co-accused were arrested last month. 

During cross-examined at his bail hearing, the court informed him that his vehicle was seen entering and exiting the mine shaft many times. The group of illegal miners were arrested in a mine shaft with 15 AK -47s, six hunting rifles, two shotguns, and a box full of ammunition. When a police vehicle carrying the accused arrived at the Stilfontein magistrates court on Wednesday; security was tight, and there was a strong police presence.

The state prosecutor identified twelve occasions between August 24 and September 30 in which the car of accused 21 , Boyz Nyokong was  seen entering an abandoned mineshaft and in one instance, a body was being loaded into his vehicle. Nyoking’s vehicle mainly delivered food bags and containers, but it also transported a generator at the end of September.

But Nyokong denied being at the Scott mine shaft and claimed he occasionally lends his car to people and his car mechanic. When asked where he was when his vehicle was seen, he said he was asleep or transporting his children to school. Nyokong got irritated when the prosecution got fixated on the dates and times his vehicle was spotted at the mine shaft. He then asked why law enforcement did not arrest the person who frequented the mine shaft if it was illegal. Time limitations forced an end of his bail hearing, and the court was concerned that the accused would have to return to their Potchefstroom detention cells before the conclusion of the hearing.

Five accused have been identified as South African citizens, while the other 16 are foreign foreigners. Their arrest came after the Hawks investigated the accused’s suspected illegal mining operations. They are charged with possession of prohibited firearms, ammunition, and violation of the Immigration Act. The bail application will continue on November 21

Author

  • Boitumelo Tshehle
    Boitumelo Tshehle

    View all posts
Awareness Featured Government Politics
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Boitumelo Tshehle
  • Website

Related Posts

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

8 minutes ago

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Comments are closed.

Demo
Top Posts

G20 Summit security measures trigger major Gauteng traffic disruptions as City denies vendor evictions

1 month ago5,928

G20 Summit Day 2: Major road closures and heavy traffic expected across Johannesburg

1 week ago1,242

Minister’s chief of staff Cedric Nkabinde to testify

2 weeks ago1,209

Brown Mogotsi’s alleged shooting raises eyebrows in Vosloorus

4 weeks ago1,202
Don't Miss
News

Gauteng Police launch manhunt after two officers killed in Ivory Park

By newsnote correspondent8 minutes ago2

Gauteng police have launched a large-scale manhunt following the fatal shooting of two SAPS officers…

NW Premier calls for urgent action to protect young girls from HIV/AIDS

1 hour ago

Usindiso fire survivors to sue City of Johannesburg for negligence

3 hours ago

Soweto Marathon horror: Drunk taxi driver arrested after hitting female runner

23 hours ago
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Soundcloud
  • WhatsApp

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from Newsnote

Demo
South African Press Council
© 2025 Newsnote
  • News
  • World
    • Africa
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • America
    • Middle East
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Lifestyle

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.