President Cyril Ramaphosa has conveyed his deepest condolences to the families of six people who died when a building collapsed in Ormonde, south of Johannesburg, on Monday.

In a statement issued by The Presidency of the Republic of South Africa, the President said his thoughts are also with survivors, some of whom remain trapped under the rubble at the business park premises.

Emergency and rescue teams are continuing operations at the scene as efforts intensify to locate and assist those still unaccounted for.

Earlier on Monday Johannesburg Emergency Management Services (EMS) teams responded to a building collapse at 6 Amethyst Business Park, Amethyst Road, Omonder where it began safety and rescue of all affected individuals.

“Complete assessment is being conducted, and additional resources have been mobilised to support the response efforts,” said EMS Spokesperson Xolile Khumalo 

Members of the public are urged to avoid the vicinity to allow emergency personnel to operate safely and efficiently.

Further updates will be communicated as more information becomes available.”

 Ramaphosa said he expects that an inquiry into the cause of the collapse will provide answers to the bereaved families and survivors. He added that the investigation should also help prevent a similar tragedy from occurring in future.

Ramaphosa further expressed appreciation for the urgency and commitment demonstrated by rescue personnel working at the site.

Authorities have not yet released details on the cause of the collapse.

Author

Share.
Leave A Reply